History of the Museum and Society

Main Building

In 1998, the Grove City Area celebrated the 200th anniversary of its founding. During that year, many activities commemorated this anniversary. A book was produced, Reflections of Our Past: Celebrating 200 Years of Grove City, Pennsylvania. A play, Upon These Waters, was written and performed by members of the community. There was a July 4 celebration with a community band performance and fireworks.

During that year, the rich history of the Grove City area was rediscovered. Many citizens expressed an interest in preserving this local history. Some of those citizens suggested forming a local historical society in order to preserve the local history.

The Society was incorporated on December 16, 1998. We received our tax exempt status on June 3, 1999. We began with about 35 members and today we have over 400 members. In January 2000 we received a donation from Grove City Borough of $65,000.00. This money was used to purchase the Traveler’s Hotel as our headquarters. We have about 60 volunteers who take turns greeting people who come to visit our museum. We welcome visitors. We have done a tremendous amount of work on our building and we are very proud of all that we have accomplished. All of our workers are volunteers. We have no paid staff. Each of us enjoys our Historical Society and we are anxious to share the history of our community with others.

The work that has been done on the building has been made possible by grants from State Representative Dick Stevenson, State Senator Bob Robbins, and Alcoa Aluminum.

Our headquarters was formerly The Traveler’s Hotel. Prior to 1946, the Hotel was known as the Uber House. It was built between 1905 and 1910. At that time it had a restaurant on the first level and sleeping rooms upstairs. It remained a hotel until the Historical Society took ownership of it in 2000. The Hotel was used for many things over the years. Olan Mills rented space in the basement to take family pictures. For many years a Doctor Slough rented a room two days a week to treat patients. Parents of College students stayed at the Hotel, Street Fair vendors stayed, as well as traveling salesmen.

A tremendous amount of work has been done on our building. We still have a lot to do. We are planning for our organization and museum to continue. Our goal is to preserve our past as we move into the future.

The Mission of the Grove City Area Historical Society is to Preserve the History, Heritage, and Supporting Artifacts of the Grove City Area.

Contact Us

View our Current Officers

Genealogy Resources

We are open Tuesday – Saturday from 12:00 – 3:00 PM. Please stop in for a visit!